Sunday, November 30, 2014

From Me, To You



The other night, as Josh and I walked down the hall with our sweet, two-year-old on my hip, I felt like I was 60 minutes past my bedtime. It had been a long day and I was ready for the house to wind down. 
My head had a dull ache, and I was sure there just had to be a small elephant sitting on my back.

Then, a few steps into our journey to Sahara's bedroom, she whispered "love you mama."
It was one of those palpable moments as a parent, where you can feel your baby's emotions, perfectly.
That girl was sucking her right thumb, while her left hand was twirling my hair as we walked.
She could tell I was nearing the end of my rope, let's be honest, she is good at that.

But in that palpable moment, I felt a little tiny weight lift off my shoulders.
I was doing something right.
I had taught that little girl what it means to have empathy.

The rubber hit the road.

I am so thankful for all that she teaches me, day-in and day-out. There is nothing like living and seeing the way your child does, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

So, next time you are rushing down the hall with a baby, two blankies (no more, no less), a sippy cup, a dripping toothbrush, and a headache fit for a king, remember that your rubber is hitting the road. Don't doubt that you are making a difference, you are teaching, loving, doing, just where you are needed most. 

How thankful I am for this sweet reminder from a sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment